Posted on Tuesday, February 18th, 2020
It’s been over 3 years since I last posted here (my last post – according to this blog, was back in 2017). As usual – most of my blog posts sit around the first quarter of each year – when I come back in “refreshed” from a holiday break and energised with a new set of goals for the year.
Yet somehow – I’ve still ended up with a 3-year gap since my last post. It’s not to say I haven’t written other posts since, apparently (according to my task list – which I live by) I wrote 2 back in February last year. No idea which black hole they fell into. Either way – a lot has happened in my life in the last 3 years, so I thought it best to come back here and summarise what’s happened – and what I’m planning on doing next.
- Having a baby – Well (not me – but my wife) – probably the largest change in the past 3 years has been the arrival of our little bundle-of-joy/terror/little-man. I always knew to have a little one was going to be life-changing, but man no one told me the two extremes would be so far apart. Those with children will understand – but there is a no more wonderful feeling than making my son laugh, but my goodness, he is a time sink. He’s wonderful, but a complete-time vampire.
- Being Promoted – Being promoted to CTO (yes – a C-Level position!), was a huge step for me – but one I am still adjusting to. The company I’m part of now has continued to grow (now nearly 150 staff – and still growing) – adjusting my role to the new demands – and ensuring I’m spending time in the right places will always be a moving feast for me (and I’m not sure I’ll ever get comfortable!).
- Reaching a few other life goals (warning: humble bragging here). I won’t detail the exact goals here – as I think it’s a little too braggy, but reaching these has made me now step back, and reassess where I want to head next.
Having had these (relatively) major elements occur in my life – and with the usual renewed beginning-of-the-year sense of wanting to write more, I thought I would write out my commitment to the blog and the subjects I expect to cover over the next few years.
- The journey of the CTO – As I’ve moved into this position, and the company has continued to expand – I’ve found I’ve had to re-think how I spent my time. I’ve had to let go of things that previously I thought were my strengths, going outside of my comfort zone to develop new ones. I’ll be detailing this journey on this blog as I develop these skills and competencies – looking for input from all of you of course!
- Being a father – with a technology edge. Becoming a father has given me a new perspective on life – and something I am intrigued to blend with my love of technology. From time to time I’ll be posting ideas and strategies on how I’ll mold these two worlds together, and projects I look to develop as my son grows up.
- Random other stuff – mainly following my obsessions with Tesla’s, and my other passion – reading (so expect some badly typed up book reviews).
Over the next year, I hope to get at least one post out a month – if not more, although considering its taken me 3 years to write this one, you’ll need to wait and see if I achieve it!
This post has stuff to do with Personal